Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sneezing through history....



‘Ello peepillz, as we say in Kerala, I am back!! Had a really fun time in Coimby and mom’s food was as delicious as ever (I mean, I know, all kids say their moms cook well but my mom REALLY cooks well!)
Came back on Sunday, I know, I know, I could have posted yesterday, but I was being the lazy bum that I am something really important came up. So, I thought better late than never and started typing this post.
I had the most terrible cold in the history of humanity on Sunday but that did not stop me from going out with Upair, so that I could get fodder for this blog of mine. See the sacrifices I make for you guys…I wouldn’t be surprised if Pope wants to Beatify me (Sorry, I have no clue how the beatification process goes, but I am pretty saintly, I really am, but I am not insulting the saints here, it is just that I think that Pope might think so, I can think right? Btw, do they beatify one for sacrificing? And don’t tell me you don’t wish to be a saint in your heart of hearts…all those TV serials being produced in your name, tourists coming to your birth place and what not…C’mon, be honest…)
So, anyway, we went to this Museum in Thevara called “Kerala Folklore Theatre and Museum”. It was truly El Superbo! (Yeah, I am not happy killing English, I have to try my hand at other languages). It is a private collection of this person who also trades in antiques. The entire place takes you back to the age when people had time in their hands and art was really an art and aesthetics were held supreme.

Right from the gate, to the fan, to the displayed objects, you can find history speaking to you. There are antique masks and musical instrument, statues and paintings, a huge collection of lamps and ornaments. Each piece of work is a story unto itself. The lady who was guiding us was helpful and even though I was sneezing throughout, she did not once show disgust, heh!heh! I tried my best to keep my mouth shut, but being the fountain of wisdom that I am, I had to comment and ask questions throughout….hmmm… I wonder why she was paying more attention to Upair than me, I mean a few intellectual questions from Ida, what could be more welcome than that?
Of course, the entire place is not old, they have AC and switch boards, that couldn’t have been antiques (unless there was a genius who created AC in the past but because he was ahead of his times, he was given no attention and AC was finally created by whoever it is we credit creation of AC with. Highly possible though it is, the AC s in this museum did not belong to that genius and he, till date, remains unknown…sigh!), have been well disguised to look old. Like, there is this wooden statue-like thingy covering the switchboards and the AC looks like the cabinets from olden times. I wish I could have taken pictures but photography inside was “strictly prohibited”. But Upair did get a few shots from outside…so, once again let’s thank Upair.(All rise, say “Thank You Upair”, now sit.) But anyway, since I have not taken any awesome shots of the inside, you will just have to imagine that the place looked awesome…
Most of the collection is from South India, though they do have Chinaware and Portuguese stuff…which came from the days of trade relations and/or colonization.
So, if you were in Kochi with say an hour to kill, this would be a nice spot to hit.
I did sneeze all over the place, but I am sure I did not infect any area because I use a handkerchief. So you can go there feeling pretty safe.
Wellllllllllll ta-ta for now, more coming soon….byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!



A few pics from the website...'coz they would not let us shoot inside!

6 comments:

  1. welcome back :) hey..dint know that there was a museum at thevara inspite of staying there... thereabouts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoooaaaaa...at last....the kochi blogger is back to kochi and "HAIL..Ida Maate"...loved this writing somehow i have developed this zing of travelling to certain places and undoubtedly Kerala is there on my list for sure...Once i am there i will visit this place...i loved the serenity of the place as is evident in the photographs and your writing gave a vivid description of the place...keep writing ..c ya..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rohit, you might not have noticed the museum as it opened only in March. Check it out if time permits..
    Priya, huge hugs and thanks...yeah, Kerala is good place if you are here as a tourist... but if you stay here permanently, it is a different story altogether;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, welcome back, so you had a blast. And me too wasnt aware of a museum in thevara. But sad part is, i have not visited cochin since 4 years. Would go on my next trip for sure, miss the place. Thanks for sharing this and the pics.:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks zillion! It has been a while since you came to Kochi, eh? Don't worry, I will keep you updated and by the time you come back, you will know more about Kochi than Kochites themselves....you'll know all that you need to know and even all that you don't- trust Prof. Ida:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks amazing this place :)
    i have never visited Kerela... but sure hope to do that someday! :)

    ReplyDelete